Boxers or Briefs is a super fun adult board game that is bound to have everyone laughing. Play with friends or family members who you won't get too embarrassed in front of because some cards are a bit raunchy. Now dive in and find out what the game is about and get the instructions to play right away.
What Is the Boxers or Briefs Game?
You might not care what kind of undies your buddies wear, but wouldn't you like to know about some of their most unusual habits or interesting experiences? That's exactly what you'll find out when you play the Boxers or Briefs game with your friends. Contrary to what the name implies, this game really has nothing to do with underwear. This hilarious, modern party game for grown-ups is an entertaining question and answer game that can provide hours of enjoyment and laughter. Introduced by Hasbro in 2006, this game has become one of the most popular board games for adults.
Setting Up Boxers or Briefs Game Instructions
Before you can think about understanding how to play, you need to get everything set up, according to Hasbro's official rules.
- Put all the cards in the tray, minus the 20 blank cards.
- The tray should be in the center of all the people playing.
- The TRUE tokens go in one pocket of the tray.
- The FUNNY tokens are put in the opposite pocket.
- Every player is dealt 7 cards facedown to get started.
Boxers or Briefs Rules
Get a complete overview of the basic instructions for playing.
- The most talkative player goes first, and gameplay moves to the left.
- Each player takes turns in the hot seat while the other players draw cards and select wild and wacky statements that supposedly describe the lucky person in the spotlight.
- The player in the hot seat rolls the dice and announces the category.
- When you have more than 4 players, the other players select a card to give to the hot seat player. You can either choose a card that accurately describes the person or just something funny.
- When you have 4 players, the other players select 2 cards.
- The hot seat player has to shuffle the cards, then read each statement aloud.
- When you're in the hot seat, you may find yourself declaring all types of hilarious things about yourself, ranging from true statements to ridiculous assertions.
- The hot seat player then selects the most true and most funny card.
- The player/players whose card is selected by the hot seat person earns a FUNNY or TRUE token.
- The game-winner has six tokens (or the number agreed upon by the group playing).
Blank Cards for Creative Play
If you want to make your game even more fun and creative, you can add in the blank cards. Each person will write out their own answers on the blank cards. These cards are then shuffled in with the rest of the deck for a hilariously good time.
Depending on who is rolling the die, you will want to shift your playing strategy. Since the goal of the game is to win the most tokens, you'll want to think about what type of person is rolling the die and try to predict what types of responses they are likely to pick. If the player rolling the die:
- Is silly or funny, you'll want to pick an obscure or hilarious card and appeal to their sense of humor.
- Tends to be more serious; you'll want to pick a factual card that describes them.
- Is sarcastic or dry, you'll want to pick a card that appeals to a dark sense of humor or has a sarcastic tone.
- Easily gets embarrassed, you can consider picking a card with G-rated humor or finding a card that they'll think is sweet.
Game Variations to Try
The official game offers a few different variations players can try to make the game more fun or challenging.
- Long Underwear - Play until someone collects 8 tokens.
- Skimpy Underwear - Play until someone collects 4 tokens.
- True and Funny Underwear - Keep playing until someone collects either 3 FUNNY or TRUE tokens.
- Famous Underwear - Rather than talking about the person, you select a famous person to be discussed during the round. The hot seat person decides what they feel is most true or funny.
- Creative Underwear - Add the blank cards players fill out into the deck and play.
- Really Creative Underwear - Rather than the cards, players create their own responses with a paper and pencil and give them to the hot seat person.
What Do You Need to Play?
Everything you need to play is included with the game set. It's designed to be played with groups of four to ten people, which makes it a perfect party game. You can play the Boxers or Briefs game anywhere. Because everything you need is stored in a single box, the game is easily transportable. It's fun to take along on camping trips or weekend getaways. The game set includes:
- 400 question cards
- Label sheet included
- Scoring tokens for true answers
- Scoring tokens for funny responses
- Storage tray
What Do You Need to Know?
When you play this game, be prepared to laugh until your sides hurt. It can go on for hours, as there are over 2,000 funny phrases available, and you never know where a comment might lead. Even though the game is labeled as being intended for players age 18 and up, it's important to keep in mind that the content of the game is likely to vary widely based on the composition of the group. In some cases, the game is quite tame and family-friendly, but in others, the tone can become very racy.
A Hilarious Party Game for Grown-Ups
There is no reason that party games have to be limited to kids. Grown-up parties don't have to be sedated and boring. Boxers or Briefs is fun, entertaining, and makes for a perfect adults-only night in. No matter how long you've known them, you're likely to learn some new things about the people in your circle of friends when you bring this terrific party game to your next social event.