Buzzword Game is a fun, family friendly card game that tests your ability to solve clues and figure out the saying before the timer runs out. This is the perfect party game to play because the more players that participate, the better shot your team has of solving the Buzzword phrases.
About Buzzword Game
To win Buzzword game, each team must solve the most clues with 50 points as the final winning score. Buzzword Game works for kids age 10 and older and is a fun game for adults to play too. You will need at least four players to participate, giving each team two players. Typically, the more players you have the more fun the game is to play. Buzzword Game takes around an hour to play through, but you can set a time frame or edit the total high score to suit your playing needs. Buzzword Game can be purchased for around $15 to $22 depending on the version selected.
Buzzword Game Setup and Playing Pieces
This lively and addictive word game requires minimal set-up and is easy enough so the entire family can play together. The game includes:
- 400 sets of Buzzword clues on 200 double-sided cards
- 10 scoring cards
- 45-second sand timer
How to Play Buzzword Game
If you have a fairly good memory and the gift of gab, then you will do very well playing Buzzword. To start, players must form two teams. During each team's turn, a card is drawn that contains a "Buzzword" and 10 clues. The answer to each clue must include the "Buzzword." For example, if the "Buzzword" is "apple," and the first clue is "The object of my affection," the answer would be "Apple of my eye." If the "Buzzword" is "ball," the clues and answers would be:
- "Inflatable sand toy" would have an answer of "beach ball."
- "On top of spaghetti" would yield an answer of "meatball."
- "A psychic stares into one" should have the answer "crystal ball."
One point is awarded for each correct answer. However, any unanswered clues are given to the opposing team for a chance to steal a point, so be sure to keep answers to yourself once your turn has come to an end. The first team to reach 50 points wins the game.
Buzzword Game Strategies
The easiest way to win is to pick solid team members who are good with riddles. Other strategies include:
- Playing with more teammates. The more people who play, the greater the chance your team has of solving the clues and earning points.
- Expose yourself to common sayings so you're familiar with potential clue answers when it comes to playing.
- Read often. Reading not only builds your vocabulary, but can also give you a leg up when it comes to your comprehension skills.
- Play other word play and riddle games to keep your mind sharp.
Buzzword Game Editions
With the game's popularity, a few new versions have come out to ensure the game is up to date. Older editions may only be available via resellers, like eBay, and can cost anywhere from $10 to $50 or more, depending on condition and availability. Versions and updates include:
- 2003 French Buzzword Game: Allowing French speaking individuals to get in on the fun
- 2010 Edition: An update from the 2003 edition with new clues and buzzwords
- Buzzword Junior: Especially made for kids seven and up
- 2012 Version: A new version with different clues and buzzwords
Pros and Cons of Buzzword Game
Buzzword is ideal for small parties or family get-togethers. The original version is recommended for individuals age 10 and up, but any quick-thinking youngster could contribute to his team provided he understands the rules of the game. Buzzword Junior is also a great option for those younger than 10 years old who would like to play. If your family enjoys playing games like Taboo and Catchphrase, then Buzzword is a definite must-have for your game collection. Like its counterparts, Buzzword game has its pros and cons.
Pros of Buzzword Game
There's a lot to like about Buzzword game including:
- Easy set-up: The game takes less than a minute to get ready. What's more, it's a fast moving game, which means it can be played twice in one night.
- Fun and funny: Not only is Buzzword an enjoyable game to play on family game night, but the answers some players give are so hilarious, you may have to take a break just to compose yourselves before continuing with the clue giving.
- Great party game: Buzzword is made for small groups. It's the perfect game to play at sleepovers, family gatherings or parties. It's lively and entertaining, plus it keeps your mind active and is a great memory exercise.
Cons of Buzzword Game
While Buzzword game is fast paced and easy to play, it does have a few minor drawbacks, including:
- Restrictions: Buzzword's biggest downfall is that you can't make up your own clues. Rather, you must use the clues printed on the cards. This can stifle a person's creativity a bit, but it also ensures that the clue-reader doesn't get stuck trying to think of a clue to give. This is especially important given that you are only allotted 45 seconds to give clues.
- Group game: Buzzword is not a game you can play solo. You need a minimum of four players to get the ball rolling. The game doesn't lend itself to large numbers of players either. When you have more than six individuals on one team, it gets tough to decipher what everyone is saying.
- Age matters: A well-versed child could do quite well playing Buzzword, but age does come into play with some of the Buzzwords. Some clues can be challenging for children, especially those who haven't been alive long enough to know that "Packers" refers to the Green Bay Packers and "Packers fans' fashionable headgear," is a clue for "cheesehead."
Having Fun Playing Buzzword Game
Buzzword Game is an awesome option to play with friends and family members and is an appropriate choice for those age 10 and older. Not only is Buzzword Game a great learning tool for younger kids, but it's also a fun game for adults to play as well.