The Guess Who board game is a great choice for young children and their families. In addition to providing hours of fun for children from six to twelve years of age, this game is a great tool for teaching deductive reasoning skills.
How to Play Guess Who
Guess Who is designed to be played by two people at a time. Both players choose a character from among the 48 different game characters. The object of the game is to figure out the identity of your opponent's character by a process of working through character cards and asking identification questions.
Players take turns flipping over cards that display character faces and asking "yes or no" questions that can help narrow down the identity of the other player's secret person. Questioning techniques vary, depending on the age and reasoning skills of the players.
As players go through cards and ask each other questions, they move closer to winning the game by narrowing down the possibilities. Players polish their deduction skills as they navigate through the process of solving the identity of their opponent's mystery person.
Guess Who is a board games that adults and older children can enjoy playing along with the youngest members of the household. Many teenagers and adults enjoy playing this game, even though it is designed for younger children.
Guess Who was first introduced in 1979, and it has been a popular choice among youngsters since then.
Typical Guess Who Questions
- Is your person a man?
- Is your person a woman?
- Does your person wear glasses?
- Does your person have red hair?
- Does your person have blonde hair?
- Does your person have brown hair?
- Does your person have black hair?
- Does your person have gray hair?
- Does your person's name start with a vowel?
- Does you person's name start with a consonant?
Skills Learned Through Playing
Every great board game for kids offers the chance to learn and hone skills. Guess Who helps with the following:
- Ability to come up with good questions
- Critical thinking skills
- Deductive reasoning skills
- Discriminating among similarities and differences
- How the process of elimination works
- Logical thinking skills
- Observational skills
About the Game
Guess Who is a simple game to set up and play. If you're looking for just the bottom line, here's what you need to know:
- Manufactured by Hasbro
- Some assembly required
- Includes two game boards
- Comes with 48 character cards
- No batteries needed
Other Versions of the Game
The Guess Who board game is popular with young kids, and has inspired several different versions. Some of these include:
- The Disney Edition features favorite Disney characters such as Snow White, The Little Mermaid and others on the cards.
- For younger Disney Fans, the Disney Jr. edition features characters from some of their favorite shows, like Jake and the Neverland Pirates and Doc McStuffins. This version is suitable for ages four and up.
- The Nickelodeon addition, exclusive to Toys R Us, features characters from many favorite Nickelodeon shows like Big Time Rush and iCarly.
- The youngest players will enjoy the Guess Who game that focuses on things such as vehicles, pets and sea creatures.
- The Guess Who Star Wars edition features characters from all of the Star Wars movies.
Family Fun With the Guess Who Board Game
When you're looking for a family board game that is both fun and educational for kids of all ages, Guess Who could be the perfect choice. You might find you enjoy it almost as much as your child does!