The Game of Life was created by Milton Bradley in 1860, but the version of the game you know today was released in 1960. In the game, players navigate through life events such as getting a job, buying a house, having a baby and retiring. The object of the game is to be the most successful when it comes to handling life's challenges, and end up with the most money. Online games based on The Game of Life follow the same premise, but may offer different challenges and life events than the actual board game.
Where to Play The Game of Life Online
While there used to be several different versions of The Game of Life to play online, most of them have disappeared. Fortunately there is still one downloadable version of the game as well as a few other options.
Yahoo! Games offers The Game of Life by Hasbro Features. This online version of the game is designed to be an interactive, animated version of the original. Choose to play one of two modes: classic or enhanced. In classic mode, you follow the original game and choose to retire at the Millionaire Estates or Countryside Acres. In the enhanced mode, you have different retirement options, mini-games and new challenges throughout the game. While the game offers the experience of Life online, it is not free. You may download a free trial of the game and play for up to one hour, or purchase unlimited play for around $20.
Game of Life Apps
If you have a smartphone or tablet, you have a few more options when it comes to playing the game.
- The Game of Life Classic Edition by Electronic Arts transforms the game and pieces with 3D animation. Play on your own or pass your phone or tablet between friends for a multiplayer game. The tablet version of the game is oriented so it can be placed in the middle of the table and played by four players (one on each side) without moving the tablet.
- The Game of Life ZappED Edition by Hasbro is the animated version of the most recent Game of Life release. It features multiple mini-games to play and a re-designed game board. The game also offers new options for players, such as choosing a same-sex marriage or picking the gender of a baby rather than having it randomly assigned.
CD-ROM and Video Game Versions
Since your options for playing the Game of Life online are limited, consider a CD-ROM or video game version for a similar experience.
- Hasbro Family Game Night 3 includes the Game of Life in its selection of board games and is available for Wii, Playstation and Xbox.
- If you have a Gameboy Advance, you can purchase the Game of Life as part of a combo pack that also includes Yahtzee and Payday.
- Play the Game of Life on CD-ROM on your computer. Keep in mind that this version of the game is only available for those running Windows Vista, XP and previous versions of Windows.
Playing the Game of Life
If none of the online and computer-based options meet your needs, gather your family and friends and pull out the classic board game. No matter how you play it, the Game of Life is a great addition to family night or a way to pass the time on a rainy day.