The World of Warcraft board game brings the excitement of the internationally-successful online role-playing game to a board game. This is an exciting fantasy adventure game for two to six players, ages 12 and older. If you've never played the online version, here is a preview of what this game has to offer.
WoW Is Now a Board Game
The World of Warcraft online role-playing game, commonly called WoW, is one of the most successful computer games ever, with over three million players worldwide. Online forums contain the messages of enthusiastic players extolling the virtues of the game and comparing notes of the ways they have played the game.
WoW has now been reproduced by Fantasy Flight into a board game format - the World of Warcraft board game. The game uses the same fictional lands and characters to provide the playing fun and adventure.
This is a very big board game with hundreds of pieces, including 150 highly-detailed, sculpted plastic figures that represent the eight different races of the World of Warcraft. Characters take on the roles of all nine of the World of Warcraft classes, each with its own skills and powers. The characters battle opponents, fight monsters, gain treasure and grow more powerful in this fictional world. Ultimately, the characters can challenge one of the three invincible Overlords.
The game box includes:
- 1 rules booklet
- 1 game board showing the seven areas in the realm of Lordaeron
- 13 types of plastic creature figures (120 total) including:
- 8 green, 4 red, and 4 blue Murlocs
- 8 green, 4 red, and 4 blue Gnolls
- 6 green, 3 red, and 3 blue Ghouls
- 8 green, 4 red, and 4 blue Scarlet Crusaders
- 4 green, 2 red, and 2 blue Naga
- 4 green, 2 red, and 2 blue Giant Spiders
- 4 green, 2 red, and 2 blue Worgen
- 4 green, 1 red, and 1 blue Wildkin
- 4 green, 1 red, and 1 blue Ogres
- 6 green, 3 red, and 3 blue Wraiths
- 2 green, 1 red, and 1 blue Doom Guards
- 2 green, 1 red, and 1 blue Drakes
- 2 green, 1 red, and 1 blue Infernals
- 16 plastic character figures (8 for Horde faction and 8 for the Alliance faction)
- 7 double-sided character sheets (one side Horde and one side Alliance characters)
- 2 single-sided character sheets
- 63 character counters (7 for each class)
- 15 cardboard Stun tokens and 15 cardboard Curse tokens
- 6 cardboard Bag tokens and 6 cardboard Spellbook tokens
- 1 turn marker
- 216 class cards (for 9 distinct classes) Half of the cards are power cards which provide the spells & abilities which are acquired by character as they train. The other half are talent cards which are awarded to a character whenever he gains a new level.
- 120 item cards which represent weapons, armor and potions to assist the characters on their journey to be a hero
- 40 Alliance + 40 Horde Quest cards to represent the adventures and challenges
- 47 event cards to represent special effects
- 5 Kel'Thuzad event cards
- 3 Overlord sheets showing the characteristics of the three special enemies
- 58 Energy tokens (in 1's and 3's)
- 58 Health tokens (in 1's and 3's)
- 138 Gold tokens (in 1's and 3's)
- 40 Hit tokens
- 20 Armor tokens
- 21 eight-sided dice (7 red, 7 blue, and 7 green)
- 2 creature reference sheets
- 5 Lord Kazzak Overlord counters, 1 Kel'Thuzad Overlord counter and 1 Nefarian Overlord counter
- 5 Point of Interest tokens, 6 Alliance Quest tokens, 6 Horde Quest tokens, 8 War tokens and 12 Action tokens
Play the Game
In addition to having a lot of game pieces, the game is very complicated. The rules booklet details the characteristics of all characters, token values, spells and abilities. The game requires intense concentration. Play time can be as long as four or more hours.
- Place the turn marker on the turn track
- Each player chooses which character class he will play and takes the character sheet corresponding to that class
- Players select their character. The corresponding plastic character figure is then placed on the board to represent that character's location.
- Each player takes the seven character counters that represent their chosen character. These keep track of experience points, the character's level on his character sheet.
- Players select either the Horde or Alliance faction
- Each player takes a Bag and a Spellbook token as well as seven character tokens. Any acquired item cards are stored underneath the bag token when not used.
- Players decide which of the three Overlords they will play against
- Shuffle each card deck and place each deck near the game board
Every character takes two character actions (such as traveling on the board, resting, or engaging in combat). After every character has taken two actions, the turn marker is moved one space on the turn track. The opposing faction then takes their turn. The game continues until the turn marker reaches the "End" space, or a faction manages to defeat the Overlord, whichever happens first.
And the Winner Is …
The first faction to defeat the chosen Overlord wins the game. The game ends after the thirtieth turn.
Expansions and Online Versions
The game has a strong following much like the Star Wars games. The basic game, or any of the extensions would make an excellent gift for someone who enjoys fantasy role-playing games:
- Shadow of War Expansion
- The Burning Crusade Expansion
- World of Warcraft Battlechest
- Online Free Trial
- Warcraft The Board Game